Sunday, August 10, 2014

What I Wore to Church - Customized Ikat Dress


Dress: eShakti Smocked Elastic Waist Maxi Dress (customized)
Cardigan: ModCloth Charter School Cardigan in Navy
Shoes: Bucco Wedges from Zulily

New background! That's because there has been a lot of change in my life in the last two weeks. I'm sorry I missed last week's outfit post. I was in a car driving halfway across the country. We have relocated! I got out of the Air Force, and Kyle got a job in Midland, Texas which is only about 2 hours from my mom in San Angelo. While we're in transition and looking for a house, the baby and I are living with mom. It's already been rough only seeing Kyle on the weekends, but it'll be best in the long run. I'm not sure if this background will be the permanent one. I'm still figuring out where the best lighting is, but it works for now. I miss my brick wall background.

Another challenge this has presented is that I'm not going to see my stuff for the next 3-6 months, so the clothes I brought with me are what I have. I tried to be selective, but near the end, I just tossed a bunch of clothes I wear often in my suitcase and called it a day. I'm sure I can make it work.

This particular dress I purchased before I left, and had it mailed to my mom's house since I knew I was headed that way. This was the first time I customized more than just the sleeves on a dress. It was originally a maxi, but I thought the pattern was a bit too busy for me to pull off as a maxi. I changed the length to knee length and added sleeves. Below is a picture of the dress as it appears on the site, and the post-customization dress.


I really like the way it turned out.

I paired it with the navy Charter School Cardigan to tone down the print a bit on top. I was tempted to wear my mustard cardi to bring out the yellow in the dress, but if my purpose is to tone down, a mustard cardi does quite the opposite. I also realized after looking at the pictures, I could've added a belt, but it worked fine without it. Maybe next time I'll do the mustard cardi and the belt, and turn it into an entirely different look.

Just a note, today is the last day for eShakti's big site wide sale. It's definitely worth a look.

Happy Shopping!

blog-signature

8 comments:

  1. Hello Beth. I love it much better after you customized it! It look great and you look great in it. I also love the spiral staircase! Take care hon and congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I bet you could make something that looks just as fabulous. I envy your sewing skills. And yes, my mom's house has a lot of really cool features.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth! I just wanted to say that I'm so happy I came across your website. I am also a huge lover of Eshakti, and I was searching the internet for tips on how to turn Eshakti dresses into maternity dresses (since I'm pregnant, yay!). Thanks to your tips (yes, I stalked your whole pregnancy), I ordered 4 dresses this week (hello, BOGO deal!), and I can't to see how they turn out! I adore your style and appreciate the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you so much. I love hearing that! And congrats!! Pregnancy is so much more fun when you know you look cute throughout it. I hope you're happy with your eShakti purchases! I just can't get enough of them, pregnant or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Beth - how did you do your measurements for the site? Did you leave an inch or two for space so the clothes aren't too close-fitting and have room in them, or do you send your exact measurements?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The one time I sent in measurements, I went up 1/2 an inch because I don't like my clothes to fit snug, but I like them to be fitted. It worked out pretty well for me. Also make sure when you're measuring that the tape is flush with your body, but not pulled tight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you added sleeves! I want to know your secrets for doing that. I know your blog is "Shopping With Beth," but if you ever want to do a tutorial (aka "Sewing With Beth"), I'd be all for it! Love your cute outfits and it's fun to hear you're in TX. We are in San Antonio now. If you're ever over this way, please give me a holler. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO not that creative. I ordered the dress from a site called eShakti. They let you customize their dresses either by adding sleeves, changing lengths or necklines, or sending in custom measurements. It's a fabulous site. If you'd like to check it out, I'll send you a referral email! And I'll definitely give you a shout if I'm in San Antonio!

    ReplyDelete