Sunday, January 25, 2015

What I Wore to Church - Antique Print Dress

Dress: Effie's Heart Elysses Dress in Antiquing (Similar to this MC dress on sale in 3X and 4X)
Shoes: ShoeDazzle Vannah (similar)

I have a confession to make. I have a bit of an obsession with novelty prints. I am a 30 year old woman who would wear them everyday if she could. I almost cried this week when I got a dinosaur dress in from ModCloth and it was too big. I've acquired quite of bit of them recently through swapping and through sales using the money I've gotten from my PoshMark sales. Today was only my second week in my new congregation at church and while I had the urge to wear something novelty, I didn't want to automatically be labeled as the weird lady wearing the Tigers Wearing Sunglasses print dress (the dress exists and it WILL be worn eventually). 

This antique print dress was my concession. Still a novelty print, yet subtle enough that I'm not Ms. Frizzle from the Magic School Bus. I got this adorable Effie's Heart dress on sale for $25 a couple weeks ago. It's a super comfy stretchy material (as most of their dresses are) and the cut is really flattering. It hugs in the right places and flares in the places I'd rather it not hug. Plus the bow at the neckline made it surprisingly nursing-friendly. 

I went easy on the accessories because I wanted the dress to speak for itself. With the bow neckline, a necklace was even too much. The simple belt and tights added some interest and definition without overpowering the outfit. 

Over the past year or two, my style has transitioned a bit away from the higher platform pumps to lower retro-ish heels. I bought these oxford heels on super sale from ShoeDazzle right in the middle of that transition. At the time, they felt a little too vintagey for me, but now that I've come further in the transition, they were just perfect. When I unpacked them yesterday, I remembered how much I loved them and I was glad I took the leap to buy them. Honestly, I'm not fully sold on how they look with this outfit (they would look better with burgundy or green tights, but the grey was all I had), but I just love them so much that I have no regrets. 

That's quite the long explanation of how this outfit came together but occasionally I think it's good to talk about my style and how it came to be instead of just telling you where I bought all my clothes. Hopefully you get something out of reading it! Either way, I'll continue writing it. 

Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment