Wednesday, September 25, 2013

BIRCHBOX Review - September 2013

I received my ipsy bag and BIRCHBOX around the same time, but have had a much harder time wanting to do this review because the products weren't nearly as convenient to try. Makeup can be worn daily, but I have to actually set aside time to try out a "facial peel".  Personally, I don't like to do my reviews until I've actually tried all of the products (with one or two exceptions).
SAMSUNG
So here it is. The theme for this month was "heritage" since it's their 2 year anniversary month, and they chose to feature brands that have "fascinating histories".

I'll start with the good, but I'll be honest. These are the items I had no complaints about. I don't feel like I have to have any of these items, but they weren't bad and they were a step above "meh".

SAMSUNG
RUFFIAN Nail Lacquer in "Foxtrot" (sample size).  I tried this out of my toes. The color was a nice shimmery red-orange. It went on smooth and only took one coat. After almost a week it's still in tact with no chipping. Good quality, good color. Everyone this month got a sample of the nail polish.

SAMSUNG
Serge Normant Meta Luxe Hair Spray (sample size).  I wear hairspray everyday in my uniform so this was fairly easy to test. The spray was super powerful. I don't mean the smell (which was pleasant). I mean it came out of the can super fast. It was quite startling the first time I tried it. It created a bit more of the "helmet head" effect than I prefer, but it smelled nice and it held my hair in place. If you're looking for a "flexible hold" this is not for you since it made my hair quite stiff.

SAMSUNG
Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Sensitive (sample size). It took me some time to get around to testing this. I used it this morning after my shower, and it wasn't bad. The smell wasn't overpowering. It didn't smell good per se, but it didn't smell bad either. It went on easy, and a little went a long way (so the sample size is good). It's a good thing it was for sensitive skin because I definitely felt the heated tingling when it went on, but it wasn't painful like the mask I got from ipsy last month. I put it on and then got dressed and ready. After about 10 min I rinsed it off and then put on my minimal makeup. My skin seems to be pretty smooth as a result (not that it was super rough before). Overall a thumbs up. Easier than I thought it was going to be.

SAMSUNG
Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss in Riviera (sample size). When I opened the box and saw this I was disappointed yet again by the fact that they sent me really red shade. I decided to try it anyway and to my delight it was very sheer. It gave a very subtle red hint to my lips instead of making me look like the joker. It went on pretty sticky, but seemed to smooth out as I was wearing it. I can't say it really moisturized my lips but it didn't dry them out so that's a thing.

There really wasn't any bad in this box so I'll move onto the meh.

SAMSUNGBorracha Wine Wipes (2 wipes). My first question was "what on earth are wine wipes?" Turns out you are supposed to wipe them on your teeth and mouth before (or after) drinking red wine to keep the wine from staining your mouth. Good concept, but there's one problem. I don't drink wine. Like EVER. I don't drink any alcohol so there's no way I'm ever going to use these. I really wish there was an option on the site to specify that you don't drink certain things so I don't end up with stuff like this (or any of the teas that they sell). I would've much preferred the other Borracha product, Pearly Wipes, which are a wipe that you can use to freshen your mouth and whiten your teeth throughout the day if you need a "brushing touch up".

Overall, the box wasn't bad for the month. As I said, I don't plan on rushing out on buying any of this, but I didn't hate any of it. I may splurge for the Lip Gloss just because I have a weakness for lip products, but that's about it.

If you're interested in signing up for the waitlist, you can use my link here. Even if I don't NEED all the products, I always enjoy the adventure of trying new things (and the happiness of getting a box every month).

For last month's review see here.

Happy Shopping!

2 comments:

  1. My sister put the lip gloss on Mya and it lasted a couple of hours with a 2 ysar old I have to say I will be purchasing it lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2-year old approved! That's a testimony if I ever heard one. :)

    ReplyDelete