Sunday, August 18, 2013

BIRCHBOX Review - August 2013

I know I'm a bit late on this review (since I got my box on Tuesday), but I wanted to try all the products before I did the review. We'll start with the deets for BIRCHBOX.

Company: BIRCHBOX
Price: $10 a month (no option to skip, but you can cancel anytime)
Description: BIRCHBOX is a subscription service that sends you premium samples of body care, hair care, makeup, and usually something extra. Occasionally (but not very often) they will throw in a full size product. BIRCHBOX gives BB points for every purchase (1 point per dollar spent) as well as 10 BB points for each review you do on products from your box, as long as you do it before the next box.

On to the box!

SAMSUNG

I'll start by saying I "peeked" this month at what I was getting before I received it, so I knew what to expect. I was actually pretty excited when I saw the products, but you can't always tell sample size, nor do they let you know the color of things you're getting. When I actually received the box, I was quite underwhelmed by the contents. All the samples were small (with the exception of the hair product), but there was still some good in this little box.

The theme was "Finishing School" and each item is supposed to help to put the finishing touches on your look and to help you look polished. They collaborated with Ann Taylor to pick the items.

We'll start with the good.

SAMSUNG

Whish Deodorant Swipes with Hair Inhibitor (sample size, one wipe)

I was skeptical about these. I'm a pretty big sweater (as in I sweat, not that I'm a large fuzzy cardigan). While these didn't bring the sweating down any, they did keep the smell non-existent which is what they are supposed to do. I can't say they slowed down hair growth any, but they would be perfect as part of the purse emergency kit.   So a plus in my book.

SAMSUNG

OC8 Professional Mattifying Gel (sample size)

I was skeptical about this, too. Once applied, after moisturizer, but before foundation, it's supposed to reduce shininess. I put it on after my post-workout shower just to make sure I was at my shiniest before trying. Sure enough, it did the trick. The shininess was reduced, and I went throughout my day not blinding people any more than I usually do with my pale skin. Oddly, the only two items in my box I was skeptical about are the only items I liked.

On that note, I bring you the bad:

SAMSUNG

KMS Free Shape Hot Flex Spray (sample size)

It's a thermal protectant that helps your hair from getting damaged with all the blow drying and flat ironing we subject our hair to. I've used products like this before and was happy with the result. I used this product before I blow-dried my hair yesterday. Honestly, it just made my hair feel greasy, and it didn't keep the fly-aways down which is what I was hoping for. It pretty much did nothing. Not going to be using this again.

SAMSUNG

Whish Exfoliating Body Wash (sample size)

It's supposed to wash off dead skin and brighten skin tone. My first problem is that it doesn't lather for very long, so you need to use twice as much to wash the whole body. Also, the exfoliation was barely discernible. Not impressed.

SAMSUNG

Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick (sample size)

I was excited for this one to come in. However, I was sad to see the shade of red it was. I've recently discovered I can't pull of bright red lips. It's just too extreme for my skin tone.  I thought I'd try it anyway hoping that it went on more sheer than it looked. I was WRONG. Not only was it fire engine red, thick on my lips, but it stained VERY quickly. Just in wiping it off, I looked like the joker until I could scrub (like painful scrubbing) it off.

The only thing meh in the box was the Ann Taylor coupon.

SAMSUNG

It would probably be a good deal if I shopped at Ann Taylor, but it's a bit out of my price range. It would also be good if I could use it at LOFT since that is an Ann Taylor brand, but alas no. So this will not be going to use.

This month I definitely think ipsy won out in the battle of the subscription boxes, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I'll be keeping my BIRCHBOX subscription and hope that next month will be better. I'm definitely going to be writing reviews on all the items because I get 10 BB points for each review and at 100 points you get $10 off!

If you want to get on the waitlist for BIRCHBOX, use my link. I promise they have better months than this.

1 comment: